State of Colorado
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Grand Junction Regional Center - Health Care Services Trainee
at State of Colorado
- Department Information
Anticipated Start Date for this position is September 14, 2020 due to the interview process and background check involved with this position.
If your goal is to build a career that makes a difference, consider joining the dedicated people of the Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS). Our professionals strive to design and deliver high quality human and health services that improve the safety, independence, and well-being of the people of Colorado. In addition to a great location and rewarding and meaningful work, we offer excellent benefits:
Strong, secure, yet flexible retirement benefits including a PERA Defined Benefit Plan or PERA Defined Contribution Plan www.copera.org plus 401(k) and 457 plans
Employer supplemented Health Savings Account
Paid life insurance
Short- and long-term disability coverage
10 paid holidays per year plus vacation and sick leave
Discounted RTD EcoPass (Denver Metro locations)
BenefitHub state employee discount program
CafeWell employee wellness program
Excellent work-life programs, such as flexible schedules, training and more
*Some positions may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. For more
information, go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
Our Culture & Environment
We believe in a people-first approach: To serve the people of Colorado, we develop a culture and work environment that creates an energized, inspired, and healthy team capable of giving their best to Coloradans.
Balance creates quality of life: We want our team to be resilient through a supportive workplace that values flexibility, health and wellness, and employee engagement.
We hold ourselves accountable: We take responsibility through our actions, programs, and results for the state of health and human services in Colorado.
Transparency matters: We are open and honest with employees, our partners, the Coloradans we serve, and the public.
We are ethical: We abide by what is best for those we serve by doing what is right, not what is easy.
Collaboration helps us rise together: We work together with all partners, employees, and clients to achieve the best outcomes for Coloradans.
- Description of Job
Health Care Service Trainee positions give hands-on direct care to our clients who are individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
In this role you will:
- Receive and understand training provided in areas such nursing skills, medication administration, intellectual and developmental disability theory and practice, human growth and development, behavior management, and supports and services
- Attend and complete the QMAP course to learn the principles of administering medications including, the scope of practice of QMAP, Medication administration records (MARs), Drug diversion awareness
- Support individuals by implementation of behavior programs,and positive redirection techniques
- Communicate with individuals who are elderly or have impaired physical capacity
- Provide Infection Control, Safety and emergency procedures
- Prevent and report abuse and/or neglect
- Apply knowledge and techniques in residential areas of providing care and instruction in daily activities, including meal preparation, eating; bathing, personal hygiene; social skills; recreation activities; housekeeping and laundry; safety and transportation, all with a training approach to ensure personal outcomes
- Apply knowledge and techniques when provided a posting of duties, and safely provide daily activities during a specified time frame
- Apply knowledge in implementing assigned individualized supports and services for people including behavior, social, recreation, work, and specialized therapies
- Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
The following supplemental experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities are highly desirable for this position and may be considered in selecting the successful candidate:
High School Diploma or GED
- Knowledge of basic Nursing Skills to assist individuals with personal care
- Knowledge of basic personal care for individuals in need of care
- Customer Service skills
- Oral Communication Skills
- Written Communication Skills
- Listening Skills
- Teaching Skills
- Ability to communicate effectively orally with information and ideas so others will understand.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written format so others will understand.
- Ability to instruct individuals for guidance with personal care needs
Conditions of Employment:
The successful candidate in this position:
- Must have valid unrestricted Colorado Driver License
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted as part of the selection process as this position is deemed to have direct contact with vulnerable persons. Felony convictions, conviction of crimes of moral turpitude, or convictions of misdemeanors related to job duties may disqualify you from being considered for this position. Should your background check reveal any charges or convictions, it is your responsibility to provide the CDHS Background Unit with an official disposition of any charges.
- Must pass drug screen
- A Tuberculosis Test (TB) will be required upon hire
- You must be willing and able to work shifts, nights, weekends, and holidays
- Former employees of the Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS) who were disciplinary terminated or resigned in lieu of termination must disclose the information on your application and may not be eligible for employment at CDHS.
- Must be able to exert force and/or lift patients
- Must be able to frequently stoop, kneel, crouch, push, pull and reach
- Must be able to report to work to provide essential services to ensure health, safety, and welfare
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination.
Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb.
A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.
- Supplemental Information
How to Apply (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)
Applicants are encouraged to attach a cover letter and resume to their application.
Please note that ONLY your State of Colorado job application will be reviewed during the initial screening; if you submit a resume and cover letter, they will be reviewed in later stages of the selection process. Therefore, it is paramount that you clearly describe all of your relevant experience on the application itself. Applications left blank or marked "SEE RESUME" will not be considered.
Your application will be reviewed against the minimum qualifications for the position. If your application demonstrates that you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be invited to the comparative analysis process, which is described below.
Note: Current and former employees (transfers, voluntary demotions and reinstatements) are required to apply and participate in the comparative analysis process.
Comparative Analysis Process
The comparative analysis process for this position may consist of a structured application review, and a structured interview depending on the number of qualified applicants.
The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply. The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we provide employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status (with preference given to military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
CDHS is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this position, please direct your inquiries to our ADAAA Coordinator, Nancy Schmelzer, at email@example.com or call 1-800-929-0791.
Toll Free Applicant Technical Support: If you experience technical difficulty with the NEOGOV system (e.g. uploading or attaching documents to your online application) call NEOGOV technical support at 855-524-5627 Mon-Fri between 6 am and 6 pm (Pacific Time). Helpful hints: if you are having difficulty uploading or attaching documents to your application first, ensure your documents are PDF or Microsoft Word files, and second, close the document before you attempt upload (attach) it.
For Recruiting questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
~THE STATE OF COLORADO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER~