University of Denver
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Ice Maintenance I, Ritchie Center - Facilities, Planning and Management
at University of Denver
Enrich the University of Denver's global prominence and community impact through excellence in innovative Facilities Services.
Through exceptional customer service, we provide sustainable stewardship to the university community that creates an engaging and thriving environment to learn, live, teach and work.
- Stewardship:We effectively use all resources to meet the needs of today without compromising the future. We work in a safe manner using equipment and procedures as appropriate and encourage others to do the same. We maintain confidences and protect the security of operations and assets by keeping information confidential and equipment/facilities secure. We demonstrate efficient use of time, equipment, and other resources with a focus on sustainable operations and best practices.
- Teamwork:We work together cooperatively in support of our mission. We value individuals and their contributions to the team and treat each other with respect and dignity. We actively work to create and support an inclusive and equitable workplace by embedding diversity into all aspects of the workplace. We communicate honestly and openly, listen attentively, and assume responsibility for resolving difficulties appropriately. We encourage cooperation, collaboration, and co-ownership of success.
- Professionalism:We earn the trust of others through professional conduct that includes honesty, reliability, and competency. We exhibit a courteous, conscientious and businesslike manner in the workplace. We actively endorse and support DU's mission and work to fulfill its vision, mission, and goals. We pursue professional development to increase expertise and improve our capabilities to deliver improved job performance.
- Service: We contribute to the success of others by responding in a courteous, timely and accurate manner, seeking assistance when necessary to create a positive DU experience that exceeds the expectations of students, and internal and external contacts. We understand that our performance directly affects the future of DU and strive to perform to enhance the DU experience. We embrace a positive attitude and participate through engagement with changes in procedures, environment, or responsibilities.
- Integrity: We accept responsibility for the University's and public's trust and are accountable for individual actions. We conduct ourselves and perform our duties in an environmentally, socially, and economically responsible manner that is reflective and protective of the trust placed on us as stewards of the University's facility related resources.
- Excellence:We strive to achieve excellence in all endeavors and are committed to continuous improvement. We enthusiastically deliver quality services to our customers while consistently seeking to improve those services through creativity and innovation.
- Engagement:We seek to "tell our story" through collaboration, communication, and inclusion with the greater DU community. Through involvement, we ensure the needs of students, faculty, staff, alumni, visitors, and neighbors are met and efforts from each department are understood. We take every opportunity to augment the education and research mission of the university through demonstration of real world applications of theories and principles.
With little or no supervision, this position performs maintenance of ice arena facilities and repair of ice resurfacer components. This position also performs snow melting and hockey goal positioning per clients requests. Additionally, this position assists in services completed by Building Service Specialist position by performing the following duties.
- Ability to work variable shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays as dictated by event and ice arena schedule
- Ability to take and follow direction in a client service based environment
- The ability to manage details in the delivery of quality ice resurfacing within a rigid time constraints
- Maintain the ice resurfacer to meet high quality ice expectations
- Able replace machine blades that weigh approximately 50 pounds
- Able to use power and manual edgers to perform regular ice maintenance
- Able to do preventive maintenance on the resurfacer such as check fluids and perform as needed repairs
- Able to use hand and power tools
- Assist in game operations for NCAA Division I competition
- Perform in large crowds in the assemble facility under rigid time constraints for the performance of ice resurfacing operations.
- Assist other personnel, to include but not limited to, the conversion crew, maintenance crew, and event staff
- Maintain clean and safe work area
- Provide a high level of customer service to clients and guests
- Picks up material needed for repairs or alterations.
- Reports to work early in the morning, weekends, and holidays for snow removal, when necessary.
- Removes snow from walks, steps, ramps and parking lots by power equipment or shovel
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate with varying levels of administrative personnel verbally and in writing relative to the condition of the ice and the dispatch of assigned responsibility.
- Ability to fill out simple forms and log essential data relative to the condition of the ice.
- Ability to perform simple equations including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and the functional use of fractions related to servicing equipment, measuring surfaces, measuring depth, quantifying material and ordering supplies.
- Detailed, but easy to follow procedures.
- Daily priorities are established and frequently monitored by supervisor.
- Employee responds to situations requiring immediate attention.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Competency in maintenance fields/functions.
- Knowledge of standardized work routines and the ability to follow oral/written instructions involving a number of steps.
- Knowledge of all types of equipment and related OSHA and EPA regulations and able to effectively communicate regulations to others.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- A valid driver’s license and insurable under University standards.
- Must pass a Pre-Placement Physical
- To adequately perform this job, individuals must have the ability to work variable shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- One year of experience working within an ice arena and familiarity with ice resurfacing operations
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in and around conditions found in ice arenas. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Work associated with the position involves standing and walking for extended periods, bending, climbing, crouching, sitting, and many repetitive motions. Required to lift, push, pull and lower objects in excess of 100 pounds. This job also requires one to work with hand and power equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must work from high ladders, scaffolding, man lifts and catwalks.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) Monday, June 25, 2018
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Resume or application
NOTE: The online system is limited to uploading 10 files. Please combine content if necessary to get all content uploaded.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
- Offer of employment is based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check and Motor Vehicle Report (MVR).
- All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check, Motor Vehicle Report (MVR), Pre-Employment Physical, Drug Screen, Human Performance Evaluation and verification of employment and education.