University of Denver
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Horticulture Technician - Facilities Planning & Management
at University of Denver
Enrich the University of Denver's global prominence and community impact through excellence in innovative Facilities Services.
Through exceptional customer service, we provide sustainable stewardship to the university community that creates an engaging and thriving environment to learn, live, teach and work.
- Stewardship:We effectively use all resources to meet the needs of today without compromising the future. We work in a safe manner using equipment and procedures as appropriate and encourage others to do the same. We maintain confidences and protect the security of operations and assets by keeping information confidential and equipment/facilities secure. We demonstrate efficient use of time, equipment, and other resources with a focus on sustainable operations and best practices.
- Teamwork:We work together cooperatively in support of our mission. We value individuals and their contributions to the team and treat each other with respect and dignity. We actively work to create and support an inclusive and equitable workplace by embedding diversity into all aspects of the workplace. We communicate honestly and openly, listen attentively, and assume responsibility for resolving difficulties appropriately. We encourage cooperation, collaboration, and co-ownership of success.
- Professionalism:We earn the trust of others through professional conduct that includes honesty, reliability, and competency. We exhibit a courteous, conscientious and businesslike manner in the workplace. We actively endorse and support DU's mission and work to fulfill its vision, mission, and goals. We pursue professional development to increase expertise and improve our capabilities to deliver improved job performance.
- Service: We contribute to the success of others by responding in a courteous, timely and accurate manner, seeking assistance when necessary to create a positive DU experience that exceeds the expectations of students, and internal and external contacts. We understand that our performance directly affects the future of DU and strive to perform to enhance the DU experience. We embrace a positive attitude and participate through engagement with changes in procedures, environment, or responsibilities.
- Integrity: We accept responsibility for the University's and public's trust and are accountable for individual actions. We conduct ourselves and perform our duties in an environmentally, socially, and economically responsible manner that is reflective and protective of the trust placed on us as stewards of the University's facility related resources.
- Excellence:We strive to achieve excellence in all endeavors and are committed to continuous improvement. We enthusiastically deliver quality services to our customers while consistently seeking to improve those services through creativity and innovation.
- Engagement:We seek to "tell our story" through collaboration, communication, and inclusion with the greater DU community. Through involvement, we ensure the needs of students, faculty, staff, alumni, visitors, and neighbors are met and efforts from each department are understood. We take every opportunity to augment the education and research mission of the university through demonstration of real world applications of theories and principles.
Under general supervision of the Grounds Foreman and Assistant Grounds Foreman, this position performs skilled or technical types of work associated with the Maintenance of lawns, fertilization, irrigation, trees, shrubs and flower beds and is expected to supervise other grounds personnel as assigned
- Performs minor repairs, lubricates and sharpens equipment.
- Reports complex repair needs to supervisor.
- Makes minor repairs to parking lots.
- Installs signs.
- Removes trees.
- Performs landscape installation.
- Drives to sites with tools and equipment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess knowledge of standardized work routines and the ability to follow or give oral and or written instructions involving multiple tasks.
Ability to apply and follow procedures to carry out assignments furnished in written, oral or in diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in a variety of situations Basic computer skills. Ability to follow detailed procedures and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to respond to situations requiring immediate attention and to daily priorities that are established. Knowledge of landscaping, plant material and flowers preferred
- A high school diploma or GED
- Current State of Colorado chemical applicators license
- Must possess one of the following:Landscape Industry Certificate (LIC) in at least one of the 5 given categories, certified arborist, or Master Gardener’s certificate
- Four year’s experience in grounds horticulture, landscaping, or grounds maintenance is required
Please note, this position also requires the following:
- Valid Colorado Driver’s license and be insurable under University guidelines.
- Must pass a pre-placement Physical
- A Bachelor or Associate degree
- Knowledge of landscaping, plant material and flowers
- Familiar working with Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) software, including WebTMA
- Thorough knowledge of all types of landscaping equipment
- Varied, full-time (2088 hours annually)
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) November 26, 2018
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Moderate to strenuous physical effort required. Worker must be able to withstand long periods of time bending, couching, sitting, standing, reaching and repetitive motions with the hand-wrist and elbow-shoulder. The employee must be able to work outside in all types of weather and lift, move and carry objects in excess of 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
NOTE: The online system is limited to uploading 10 files. Please combine content if necessary to get all content uploaded.
The University of Denver is an affirmative action employer and that age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other applicable status protected by state or local law are not taken into account in any employment decision.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check, MVR check, and pre-placement Physical.