University of Colorado Boulder
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Research Instructor or Senior Research Instructor
at University of Colorado Boulder
ColoradoSchool of Public Health
Centerfor Innovative Design and Analysis
RESEARCH INSTRUCTOR/ SENIOR RESEARCH INSTRUCTOR
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeksindividuals environment with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusivelearning and working. We value theability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
NATURE OF WORK
This is a team science position in the Department of Biostatistics andInformatics. This person will join a growing group of master's and doctoral trainedcollaborative and consulting biostatisticians. The collaborative work for thisposition is split between the Center for Innovative Design and Analysis (CIDA)consulting branch and major collaborative research groups. CIDA is a campuswide analytics center charged with expanding the analytics expertise andresearch for the Anschutz Medical Campus.
This position will join 9 other master's trained faculty in CIDA andover two-dozen faculty and research personnel in the Department ofBiostatistics and Informatics. Research instructors interact and collaboratewith health researchers on their basic science, clinical, and health scienceresearch projects. The collaborative research groups for this position arebroad, encompassing data science, health outcomes, and ‘omics.
A research instructor is expected to provide high-level, professional andscientifically rigorous design and analysis support to biomedical researchersat CU Anschutz. Research Instructors generally work under the direction of oneor more doctoral level biostatisticians. Over time they are expected to workmore independently and apply more advanced methodologies to solve analyticchallenges. The research instructor in this position will consult and collaboratewith investigators on all aspects of the research process, including: design ofnew studies (sample size and analysis planning), data management, complexprogramming, analysis implementation and data visualization, and disseminationof results. This individual is expected to co-author abstracts, oral and posterpresentations, and scientific manuscripts.
A senior research instructor will be expected to work independently withresearch groups and mentor and supervise more junior analysts, data managers,and graduate students in CIDA. The senior research instructor may be the leadbiostatistician for some groups and exhibit their team science contributionsthrough submission of applied abstracts and perhaps lead on collaborativepublications.
The Research Instructor/Senior Research Instructor position in CIDA willbe supervised by the CIDA Director and indirectly by the lead of thecollaborative group.
This position may have supervisory responsibilities with graduateResearch Assistants seeking MS degrees (RAs) and Professional ResearchAssistants (PRAs).
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
The faculty in the CIDA collaborate with health researchers from nearlyevery School and Department at CU Anschutz on their biomedical and healthresearch projects, including: design of new studies (sample size and analysisplanning), complex programming, developing analysis pipelines, analysisimplementation and data visualization, and dissemination of results. Thisindividual is expected to co-author abstracts, oral and poster presentations,and scientific manuscripts. Strong data management/integration and programmingskills are desired.
In addition to the work of a research instructor, a senior researchinstructor will conduct more complex analyses, work more independently, and attimes investigate the usefulness of newer methodologies to solve the analyticchallenges facing their groups. They will spend more time on study design anddata analysis rather than data wrangling/management. A senior researchinstructor will also mentor and supervise junior master's trained faculty andgraduate students.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong knowledge of statistical principles relevant in medical research.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems and apply quantitativeanalytical approaches.
- Ability to investigate the properties of statistical methodology throughsimulation or other means.
- Strong programming skills in a common statistical software package (suchas SAS, R).
- An ability to work with high performance computing environments andcloud computing.
- Good organizational skills across multiple projects, managing own workload, self-directed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive attitude and the ability to work with a variety of biomedicalinvestigators and colleagues.
- Ability to contribute to the growth and development of the CIDA and theDepartment.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University ofColorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefitsprograms, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe andsecure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist inachieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospectiveemployees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification ofemployment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of thethird day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon requestfor persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The Unversityof Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributionsthat add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
DIVERSITY AND EQUITY
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committedto recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrativestaff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect,communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnicminorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University ofColorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- The position requires formal training and experience in biostatisticsand data management.
- Strong programming skills in a common statistical software package (e.g.SAS, R).
- An MS in Biostatistics, Data Science, Bioinformatics or related area ofgraduate level training.
- At least 2 years of experience as an analytic consultant/collaborator.
For Senior Research Instructor additional requirements include:
- At least 6 years of post-graduate experience as an analyticconsultant/collaborator.
- Evidence of independence/leadership on research teams.
- Experience with data management and integration of data sources.
- 3 years of post-graduate research experience as an analyst.
- Experience serving as a biostatistician or data analyst on multipleprojects.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully contribute to the analytic elementsof multiple projects simultaneously.
- Or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience thatprovides the individual with the required knowledge, skills and abilities.