Uber Technologies, inc
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Software Engineer - Perception and Mapping, Self-Driving
at Uber Technologies, inc
- Advanced Technologies Group - Software Engineering
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role
Software Engineer (Self Driving) - Perception and Mapping is an engineering role with the responsibilities of developing and implementing algorithms for real-time detection and mapping of traffic control features. The position involves deep learning, computer vision, software implementation and optimization. We develop software at scale -- from using large compute clusters for training deep nets to deployment of our technology as efficient tasks that operate in-vehicle.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You’ll Do
- Develop algorithms and models for the detection and location of features for the autonomous vehicle map. Involves deep learning, computer vision, and massive data sets.
- Automate processes for training new models and continuous re-training of deployed models, contribute to existing and new platforms that support enterprise-scale machine learning development and deployment.
- Collaborate with world-renowned practitioners of robotics, mapping, perception, and machine learning across our locations in Pittsburgh, Toronto, San Francisco, and Boulder.
- Depending on experience and inclination, may contribute to publishing and/or patenting novel algorithms and technologies, contributing to Uber open-source projects such as Horovod and Petastorm, or presenting at local and national conferences.
- Benefit from working at a dynamic startup inside an established, well-capitalized company
What You’ll Need
- Experience or education with machine learning and computer vision.
- Strong technical aptitude, creativity, and motivation to solve tough problems.
- Strong software engineering skills, comfort with more than one programming language, experience with modern software tooling and workflows.
- Ability to rapidly prototype and analyze potential solutions, as well as the capability to develop robust implementations for production use.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and adapt to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
Bonus Points If
- Masters or PhD in related field
- Experience with C++ and Python
- Fluency with python scientific stack (numpy, scipy, pandas, etc.)
- Fluency with at least one Deep Learning framework
- Experience in mapping or other geospatial-related industry
- Experience with CUDA or GPGPU programming
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Boulder, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it’s not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.