Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at McREL International
Join McREL International and become part of our rich legacy of making a difference in the quality of education for all, through excellence in applied research, product development, and services. Since 1966, we have demonstrated a track record of success in the U.S., Canada, the Pacific Region, Australia, and other parts of the world. McREL is committed to being the organization that changes the odds for students and those that work with them. We turn knowledge about what works in education into practical, effective guidance and training for educators and education leaders, sharing the mission of the schools and systems we work with: to help students and staff be successful in identifying and achieving goals.
Our work in the Pacific focuses on supporting courageous leaders who are committed to improving student achievement. To accomplish this, the staff works with practitioners within the region to research, develop, implement, and evaluate strategies for improving systems and creating environments in which students achieve great results consistently.
McREL is currently seeking an experienced editor with expertise in communications for both internal and external audiences, including the stakeholders in the region served by the Regional Educational Laboratory for the Pacific Region (REL Pacific), which includes the state of Hawaii, American Samoa, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and the Federated States of Micronesia.
The successful candidate for this position will perform a variety of tasks under the direction of directors and senior staff, focusing primarily on publications for the REL Pacific contract. The editor will review, edit, provide contributions and proofread a variety of McREL publications for both internal and external audiences related to the REL. Responsible for articulating McREL’s work and maintaining high editorial and writing standards in all publications and marketing materials. Supports a variety of Communications and Marketing activities as needed.
This position requires periodic international travel as well as occasional domestic travel to locations within the Hawaiian islands and the continental United States. We are open to this candidate working in our Denver or Honolulu location. Position responsibilities include:
- Proofreads, copy edits, and developmentally edits a variety of journal articles, newsletters, research reports, presentations, marketing material, and other documents.
- Works to ensure materials are error-free and consistent with brand guidelines and copy styles.
- Provides feedback to align with project-specific style guide and voice.
- Identifies opportunities for authors to improve organization, presentation, clarify, and value to the intended audience of reports and publications.
- Revises and/or writes original copy for projects as needed.
- Conducts research on issues related to the content of the work as needed.
- Assists with writing and delivering project newsletters as needed.
- Uses electronic markup methods, such as Track Changes in MS Word.
- Monitors deadlines and works as an effective team member to ensure completion of assigned tasks.
- Provides project status to directors and project managers.
- Responds to internal and external requests in a timely manner, including, at times, during non-traditional business hours.
- Prioritizes multiple responsibilities and takes initiative in work.
- Performs other related tasks and activities as needed.
- Superior writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with K-12 education systems, stakeholders, and marketplace.
- Ability to recognize quality writing and to give constructive editorial guidance.
- Proven organizational skills and the ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, follow tasks to completion, and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of copywriting and message development for marketing purposes.
- Ability to work directly, cooperatively, and effectively with education professionals both within and outside of the organization.
- Ability to synthesize complex information from multiple sources.
- Attention to details
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- 3+ years of experience in professional editing, including development editing, copyediting, and proofreading, and including using a prescribed style guide (e.g., house style guide, or APA, Associated Press, Chicago Manual, etc.)
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in communications, English, journalism, education, or related field
- Experience in grant writing and/or RFP responses
- Experience in long-form editing or writing for a newspaper, magazine, or online outlet
- Experience editing education-based content
- Familiarity or experience writing for diverse education stakeholders, particularly in the region served by the REL Pacific that includes the state of Hawaii, American Samoa, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and the Federated States of Micronesia
- Experience with large scale federal programs
Must be willing and able to perform all national and international travel (including overnight and commercial airline travel) that is necessary to accomplish the essential functions of this position. Travel for this position is estimated at up to 20%.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. When applying, please select the option to add another document in order to upload your cover letter.
We are proud to offer our employees a substantial benefit package including health, dental, vision, life and accident insurance, flexible spending accounts, and an employee assistance program. In addition, we offer a retirement savings plan with a significant employer contribution. We strive to support a work-life balance for our employees with a generous time off policy including vacation, personal time, sick days, and paid holidays.
Applicants must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with McREL International.
McREL International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.