Heartland Financial USA
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Loan Review and Credit Risk Monitoring
at Heartland Financial USA
Heartland Financial USA, Inc. is a growing dynamic organization with many locations offering uniquely different banking and financial solutions for businesses and personal clients. As a performance driven company, we strive to create a culture of excellence with high standards, and high values while providing outstanding growth and involvement opportunities for employees. Join a team that makes "Great Things Happen!"
The Director of Loan Review and Credit Risk Monitoring is responsible for second line of defense monitoring, oversight, reporting, and response management for credit risk and credit-related operational risk. This includes performing risk assessments and developing and executing Monitoring and Testing Protocols. As a second line of defense role, the primary objectives are to gauge and report on the effectiveness of first line of defense functions in ensuring good credit risk management while independently providing effective challenges to them and cooperatively providing reports and counsel to them. This position is managerial and involves developing and executing strategies and tactics, and leading a team in doing so. The role also involves credit risk evaluation and reporting work for M&A due diligence and integration tasks.
1. Develops and ensure the continuing adequacy of a risk assessment process that is sufficient to identify the needs of a risk-based loan review and credit risk monitoring program.
2. Assures the effective and timely execution of the risk-based loan review and credit risk monitoring plan, including various methods such as
a.Assurance of risk-rating accuracy and timely recognition of changes
b.Assurance of the effectiveness and adherence to first line policies, procedures and controls
c.Processes to assure the recognition and reporting of emerging risk or risk trends.
3. Establishes and provides effective operation of a system to assure monitoring and control over transactional risk-rating changes and charge-offs.
4. Ensures the completeness and accuracy of key MIS, such as problem loan reports.
5. Performs duties in support of ALLL and stress testing.
6. Provides reports to first line of defense business unit managers to inform them of their level of effectiveness and to engage with them to obtain effective responses for any noted risk-management deficiencies.
7. Provides reports and data to Senior Management, including the CEO, President and CROs aimed at informing, helping support accountability for execution, and in support of the enterprise risk management program.
8. Provides summary reports and opinions of management effectiveness for credit risk management to the Board of Directors.
9. Performs and coordinates with Credit Administration in performing credit risk assessments, risk-based testing, and due diligence procedures in support of our M&A activities.
10.Evaluates the adequacy and execution of the target bank’s credit risk culture, policies, procedures, and processes.
11.Evaluates the accuracy of the target bank’s risk ratings and ALLL estimates
12.Evaluates the adequacy of the "credit mark" assigned to the transaction
13.Provides reports, factual observations and opinions concerning various aspects and the overall credit risk associated with the intended transaction
14.Continues to perform follow-up due diligence and other procedures within the Loan Review Assessment and Monitoring Plan to assure that the acquired credit risk is properly integrated to our portfolios.
15.Recruits, maintains and motivates on an effective and efficient basis a well-engaged staff capable of supporting the program.
16.Communicates changes in policies, procedures and products to impacted staff.
17.Completes annual E-Learning Plan and Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) training as assigned and keeps up-to-date knowledge of BSA as it relates to the job function
Secondary and Nonessential Responsibilities:
1. Performs other duties as assigned
1. Directly supervises a team of Loan Review Officers.
2. Works with Heartland Financial’ s recruitment team to hire the most qualified and talented individuals to fill open positions.
3. Provides information and on-going feedback to department staff regarding expectations and performance.
4. Prepares and conducts annual performance reviews.
5. Addresses and resolves all performance concerns and issues in a timely manner.
6. Encourages employee engagement through a variety of methods
7. Works with department staff on individual professional development.
8. Prepares and conducts annual performance reviews. Completes and submits all forms associated with the review process to the department according to the review process deadline.
1. Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
2. 10+ years credit risk management experience, with focus on commercial lending risk or related experience
3. Experience as a regulatory examiner or a risk consultant, preferred
4. Previous experience directly leading, managing, and/or guiding the work of others
5. Strong communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to balance the need to be both independent from and collaborative with the first line of defense and to gain buy in to required action steps
6. Ability to perform risk assessment of portfolios and activities, including experience with concepts of risk matrices, inherent risk, control design and effectiveness, residual risk, and risk appetite.
7. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
8. Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
9. Ability to apply concepts of accounting in accordance with GAAP
10.Experience managing projects on time and within budget
11.Experience collecting and analyzing data
12.Experience designing work flows and procedures
13.Track record of making sound decisions, supported by reason
14.Ability to solve problems in a dynamic and complex regulatory environment
15.Ability to analyze laws, regulations, regulatory guidance, and regulatory expectations to determine applicability and whether changes are necessary to Heartland policies, processes, and procedures
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Time Type:Full time
Founded in 1981, Heartland Financial USA, Inc. is a multi-billion multibank holding company offering uniquely different banking solutions for business and personal clients. Heartland's independent community banks are chartered in the Midwestern, Southwestern and Western United States.
The Heartland vision is to differentiate itself by highlighting its uniqueness as a commercial banking organization supported by a strong retail delivery system. As one of the top 100 bank holding companies nationwide, Heartland delivers high-quality financial products and service to clients in the Midwestern, Southwestern and Western United States.
Heartland's common stock is traded through the NASDAQ® Global Select Market System under the symbol "HTLF."
EOE/AA Employer · M/F/Disabled/Vet
Member FDIC · Equal Housing Lender
Employment at Heartland Financial USA, Inc. is employment at will