Community College of Denver
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
AASSC Peer Mentor , Student Hourly
at Community College of Denver
Job Title: AASSC Peer Mentor, Student Hourly Staff
Department: Academic Advising and Student Success Center
Pay rate: 11.25
Number of openings: 8
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist AASSC Academic Advisors in supporting the retention and persistence of students served by one of 7 academic pathways or one of 4 student success programs offered through the department.
- Carry a caseload of students with whom they will maintain contact throughout the semester to develop a trusting relationship of support.
- Receive certification training as a Peer Educator through the Bacchus and Gamma Network to develop leadership and communication skills.
- Point of contact for students with whom they are supporting along with their primary academic advisor in the Academic Advising & Student Success Center at the Community College of Denver.
- Engage students in campus life by informing them of services, programs, and events available across campus.
- Facilitate workshops for CCD community.
- Coordinate study sessions.
- Tabling with information on programming available in the department.
- Keep complete and accurate records of interactions with mentees and track student contact and services provided through data tracking system.
- Assist students with scholarship compliance as necessary.
- Provide academic success mentoring by setting an example of consistent academic success strategies, i.e. time management, effective study skills, maintaining good standing.
- Participate in calling campaigns to support student success.
- Additional duties as assigned per advisor to support student retention and persistence.
- Good overall academic ability and integrity and a minimum of 20 undergraduate credit hours completed;
- Dependable and outgoing with a positive attitude and an ability to be empathetic to students experiencing a difficult situation;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Self-motivated with an ability to work independently or in a team;
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn about services provided throughout CCD with specific knowledge of programming offered through AASSC;
- Knowledgeable or strong interest in data collection and analysis;
- Familiarity with CCD Connect and Microsoft Office Suite;
- Minimum 2.75 GPA.
- Students who have graduated from CCD with and associates degree and/or certificate and transferred to MSU Denver or CU Denver are preferred.
Up to 20 hours per week (may not exceed 20 hours per week)
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Please include the following items with your profile, by clicking New Resume/CV under "Apply" below:
- Cover letter including availability
- Class Schedule
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Community College of Denver is seeking individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and work environment. CCD values the ability to work effectively with students, families, faculty, instructors and staff of diverse backgrounds.
CCD is a Learning College where policies, programs and practices support learning as the major priority.
Community College of Denver is an Equal Employment Opportunity Educational Employer.
Background checks will be conducted on all finalists for employment consideration.
CCD recognizes that administration, faculty, instructors and staff reflect the diversity of its students and community and prohibits employment and student discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
For information regarding Community College of Denver Security, including crime statistics for the campus and surrounding area, please see the CCD Campus Security website under “student’s right to know”: http://www.CCD.edu/Safety . For a hard copy report please contact 303-352-3042