City of Wheat Ridge
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Park Maintenance Worker Seasonal Parks, Forestry, Horticulture, Natural Resources
at City of Wheat Ridge
Purpose/summary of the position:
Performs a variety of tasks for our Parks team. Each team member will be assigned to a designated area such as parks, natural resources, or forestry and horticulture. At times, team members will assist with other areas. They will assist in maintenance tasks in order to provide attractive and safe athletic fields, landscaped beds, trees and related facilities located at sites under City obligation including city-managed properties including parks, open space areas, right-of-ways and streetscapes.
Starting Pay: $12.36
Ideal Candidate: Ideal candidate would be 17 years of age or older with a current valid driver license have some experience and have the ability to learn and use and operate safely a variety of hand tools, power tools, light and medium duty vehicles, chain saws, lawn mowers, weed trimmers and blower.
Work Schedule: 4-10 hour shifts (April-October) and 5-8 hour shifts (November- March). Schedules may be subject to change. Monday-Thursday 6:30am 5:00pm or Tuesday through Friday 6:30am 5:00pm
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Examples of Essential and Important duties:
- Workers in the Parks and Natural Resource Sections could expect to be responsible for tasks related to turf maintenance including trim mowing and edging; turf maintenance including repairing damaged sod. Assist in maintenance of irrigation systems including troubleshooting and make minor repairs. Maintaining structures such as facilities, athletic fields, fences, gates, bridges, underpasses, drainage grates, parking lots, trails, and signs.
- Duties may also include inspections and general maintenance on equipment and/or facilities as assigned. This may consist of; painting, minor plumbing repair, stocking supplies, and graffiti removal from city facilities. Perform general athletic field maintenance including game preparation and field painting. Maintain accurate records/reports as directed.
- Perform a variety of miscellaneous maintenance duties including trash pickup, restroom cleaning and maintenance, maintenance and repair of park and open space facilities including the general grounds keeping, responsible for site cleanliness and trash pickup, and following safe practices.
- Workers in the Forestry/Horticultural Section, could expect to be responsible for watering, weeding, mulching, chemical application, planting, general plant maintenance of various of annuals, perennials, bulbs, ornamental grasses, trees and shrubs in various parks, landscaped beds planters and right of ways within the City of Wheat Ridge. Maintain accurate records/reports as directed. Also responsible for site cleanliness and following safe practice and trash pickup.
- For all sections, may help with the set-up, clean up and assisting with operations during special events and if working during a snow event snow removal duties would be assigned.
- Workers in the Parks Section work under the indirect supervision of the Operation Supervisors and direct supervision of the Crew Leaders with oversight given by assigned Park Maintenance Worker.
- Workers in the Natural Resource Section work under the indirect supervision of the Forestry and Open Space Supervisor and direct supervision of the Park Maintenance Worker.
- Workers in the Forestry/Horticultural Section work under the indirect supervision of the Forestry and Open Space Supervisor. Direct supervision from the assigned supervisor either the Forestry or Horticulture Technician with oversight given by assigned Forestry or Horticulture Assistant.
- Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Basic knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic landscaping.
- Mechanical- able to maintain, repair, clean, and use tools, instruments, and devices. Also able to operate a variety of light hand and power tools along with ground maintenance vehicles.
- Computer- intermediate knowledge of software used by the City such as Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel. Ability to learn and use Time clock Plus, and Vueworks an asset management program.
- Communication- provide good customer service to colleagues, members of the public and difficult customers. Must be able to maintain clear and concise written records and reports.
- Mathematical- Multiplication, division, subtraction and addition skills to determine quantities and reporting requirements and data collection.
- Time Management- Must have ability to organize, prioritize, and record tasks. Ability to adapt to changing job priorities and conditions.
- Cognitive- Ability to recall the timing of specific procedures and locations. Must be able to concentrate on a task and be able to recall and retain information regarding tasks and procedures.
- One (1) year experience (or 1 peak season) or more of landscape maintenance or park maintenance experience.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be substituted.
- License or Certification:
- Possess a current and valid driver's license and maintain a good driving record. If you're moving from a different state, your Colorado license must be obtained within (30) days of hire.
- A Background check is required.
- Minimum age for this position in 17 years old.
- Environmental Conditions- Work is primarily outdoors, performed in cold, hot, or inclement weather. Involves frequent exposure to noise levels that may cause distractions. May be exposed to confined work areas and to chemicals, fumes, cold, heat, dirt, dust, noise, wetness, solvents, oils, gases, and occasionally to electrical energy, humidity, and pesticides. May work near traffic and occasionally will work around water and electricity.
- Physical- Must have ability to climb, bend, crouch, stoop, reach with both hands, carry, pull, push, or lift object weighing in excess of 50 pounds; intermittently sitting, standing and walking. Work requires the ability to hear, use of hands to fingers, and a high degree of manual skill.
- Supplemental Information