City of Commerce City
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Gym/Weight Room Supervisor I
at City of Commerce City
- General Purpose
Under the general direction and supervision of the Recreation Coordinator – Facilities or the Recreation Supervisor – Facilities, the Gym/Weight Room Supervisor assists with the daily activities and serving the needs of recreation users in the gymnasium, fitness and weight room areas at a Recreation Center. The Gym/Weight Room Supervisor must work successfully in a team-oriented atmosphere that provides citizens and other employees with accurate information, excellent customer service and human relations skills. Must be accountable, flexible and adept at conflict resolution.
Scheduled Hours: 2-3 days per week on weekdays and weekends from 8am-1pm.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Acts as a liaison between facility staff and participants, responsible for enforcing facility rules and policies, and ensuring user safety.
- Coordinates gym usage during drop-in and open play times.
- Ensures equal playing time for all users, assigns teams, schedules games and monitors time of games.
- Performs daily gym setup and cleanup, and ensures a clean and safe environment for all users.
- Assists with the setup and cleanup of equipment for facility rentals, activities, programs and special events.
- Assists with daily gym, fitness and weight room maintenance, cleanliness and custodial duties. This includes sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, wiping down equipment and machines, and ensuring equipment is returned to proper and designated locations. Performs routine maintenance as necessary.
- Assists with maintaining the cleanliness and general upkeep of a Recreation Center by performing general cleaning and other custodial duties as necessary.
- Demonstrates safe work habits with awareness of co-workers and public safety.
- Works effectively in a team environment by completing assignments, adapting to changing circumstances and respecting diversity.
- Demonstrates a high-level of customer service at all times by effectively communicating with recreation guests via personal in-person communication.
- Interacts with recreation guests to determine their needs and provides appropriate and accurate information or directs recreation guests to the appropriate location and/or staff member for assistance.
- Assists with completing opening and closing procedures in accordance with department policies.
- Monitors guest adherence to facility rules, policies, and guidelines and safety standards and reports any disruptive behavior to appropriate staff members.
- Responds to emergency situations, administers first aid, and performs CPR/AED or other medical attention as needed. Completes accidents/incident reports as needed.
- Assists with City and department sponsored special events.
- Assists with managing gym and fitness equipment inventory, cleanliness and checkout.
- Attends staff trainings and meetings as required.
- Must maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Must comply with City and departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Minimum Qualifications
- GYM/WEIGHT ROOM SUPERVISOR I
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Customer service preferred.
- Knowledge of gym, fitness and weight room equipment.
- Minimum one-year experience.
- CPR/AED and First Aid certification preferred; required within three months of hire.
- Bilingual preferred.
- Must be highly motivated and take direction well.
- Must be willing to work mornings, midday, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Must have no physical limitations regarding the lifting of items up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas; to add and subtract totals; to multiply and divide.
- Ability to read and write, and operate scoreboard.
- Ability to handle required calculations of staff hours, timesheets, and various records.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, respond calmly and professionally to stressful or emergency situations.
- Ability to learn current policies and procedures.
- Solid organizational skills.
- Ability to conduct several tasks at once with frequent interruptions and can result in moderate level of stress due to the volume of public contact and diversity of work.
- Ability to use independent judgment while applying general organizational policies and values.
- Excellent customer service skills are imperative at all times.
- Equipment Used, Work Environment and Physical Activities
- Usual recreation environment.
- Must be able to bend, kneel, stoop, squat, sit, walk, stand and perform duties requiring the use of repetitive motions for prolonged periods.
- Must be physically able to perform frequent building walk-throughs, including climbing stairs.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds and climb ladder.
- Requires the ability to coordinate hands and eyes in using various types of equipment.
- Requires the ability to handle a variety of items, equipment, control knobs, switches, etc.
- Must have minimal levels of hand-eye coordination.
- Daily use of two-way radio, and gym, fitness and weight room equipment.
- Occasional use of emergency equipment, first aid supplies, maintenance tools, custodial equipment.
- Reads and interprets documents, instructions, and manuals; in written material, uses proper spelling, grammar and style; presents information and responds to questions individually and in small groups
- Basic mathematical skills to perform moderately complex calculations including percentages, decimals and basic algebra
- Interprets instructions in written, oral, diagram, or schedule format; solves practical problems with little standardization and a variety of concrete variables
- Ability to read a variety of documents and reports such as budget reports, certifications, complaint/compliment forms, various invoices/packing slips, job lists, refund requests, telephone messages, letters and memoranda; ability to deliver information in a teaching or instruction setting.
- Works in various recreational settings where exposure to any of the following may be possible:
- Noise – sufficient noise to cause distraction or possible hearing loss
- Atmospheric conditions – conditions that affect the skin or respiratory system
- Potential exposure to hazardous anesthetic agents, body fluids and wastes
- Potential exposure to hot and humid work environment
- Potential exposure to infections and contagious disease
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications. Employees are accountable for all duties associated with this position.