City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Aurora Go WILD Summer Program Assistant
at City of Aurora
Pay: up to $15/hour
$15 - $
Job Status: Part Time,Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 2340499
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- Go WILD Summer Program Assistant works with the Go WILD Program Coordinator to provide logistic and administrative requirements in order to carry out the programs for this grant funded effort. Programs will be offered for groups of up to 50 students and their guardians, in open space and nature based outdoor recreation / education guided programs. This position helps to develop additional programs throughout the summer as well as development of the detailed logistics required to implement the programs. This position will keep all required grant reporting up to date as needed. The position will also participate in the preparation and clean-up of materials each day; work with students arrival and release, coordinate detailed planning, food, transportation and communications to implement smooth delivery of programs; and will assist in maintaining positive relationships with program attendees and their guardians. This position will report daily to the senior environmental education and outreach specialist..
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and assist with implementation of summer program details and logistics, including scheduling, ordering supplies and confirming requirements
- Assist Program Coordinator in implementing programs and associated materials preparation and clean-up
- Coordinate supply lists and materials needs and communicate materials needs to supervisor
- Assist with sign-in and sign-out, greeting kids/students and adults
- Assist in maintaining accurate record of student attendees and all associated paperwork
- Assist in supervising children attendees with safety as the first focus
- Communicate with parents/guardians as needed
- Make sure each child is accounted for at all times
- Assist in the supervision of lunches and snacks
- Attend mandatory Staff Trainings
- Interact with campers and engage them in the activities
- Inform Program Coordinator of any special needs or accommodations necessary for attendee participation
- Other duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in natural resources, ecology, wildlife, or other closely related field.
- At least 1 year of experience teaching adults or children in an outdoor related activity or program. Specialization in public open space, cultural and natural resources experience is a plus.
Knowledge: Knowledge of ecological principles and practices related to natural resource management; knowledge of local native plants and animals of Colorado; ability to manage programs and people.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other agencies, employees and citizens; handle sensitive or stressful situations with tact and diplomacy; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; interpret applicable state and local laws, ordinances, and policies; present natural resource related programs using computer presentation software. Works varied schedules that includes some nights and weekends.
Skills: Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, use of personal computers and related software that includes word processing, database, and spreadsheet applications: operate a variety of equipment and vehicles including trucks, boats, bicycles, etc.
Required: Colorado Driver's License with good driving history.
Preferred: Certified First Aid/CPR and Certified Interpretive Guide certification
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands: Physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 30 pounds with physical strength to handle emergency situations; frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 20 pounds; considerable walking and standing in all types of terrain; frequent performance of activities requiring full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, climbing, and crawling; ability to swim; considerable hand/eye coordination to operate watercraft i.e. kayaks, archery equipment, and fishing equipment, and computer skills; hand/foot/eye coordination for operating equipment, and vehicles; vision to read reports, documents, manuals, and other written material; speech communications, and hearing to communicate with employees, participants and citizens.
Work Environment: Frequently works outdoors with exposure to varying types of weather, dust, noise, and fumes.
Equipment Used: Operates motor vehicles, and familiarity with camping, archery and fishing equipment for outdoor programs.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!