Arch Capital Group Ltd
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Commercial Lines Underwriter I
at Arch Capital Group Ltd
- Job ID
- Business Segment
- # of Openings
McNeil & Company (“McNeil”), a leader in specialized risk assessment and insurance, announced that it has entered into an agreement under which Arch Capital Group Ltd. (NASDAQ: ACGL)(“Arch”), a leading global insurer, will acquire McNeil & Company
McNeil & Co., headquartered in Cortland, New York, will operate as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Arch Insurance.
Arch Insurance is a global insurer offering our clients superior coverage and service. We embody the Arch guiding principle of focusing on retaining experienced and talented employees to differentiate us from the rest of the pack. Our group operates from offices in the US, Canada, Bermuda, UK, Australia and South Africa, providing specialty risk solutions to clients worldwide across a wide range of industries. With over ten years of operating history and strong financial ratings, our track record remains solid.
Arch Insurance employs a disciplined underwriting approach and prudent risk selection across all types of business. Our mission is to provide our insureds with superb coverage and claims handling through careful and diligent underwriting of risks and business-friendly solutions. Across our global operations, Arch Insurance employees are ready to meet your needs with professionalism and excellence.
The Commercial Lines Underwriter I manages both a book of commercial property/casualty insurance business and agency relationships in order to grow the insurance program while maintaining underwriting discipline and profitability. This position involves making sound underwriting decisions based on individual risk characteristics, exposure analysis, hazard recognition and controls.
- Analyze risks for program suitability and appropriate pricing in accordance with company guidelines and individual underwriting authority
- Quote and release renewal business within company and broker requirements
- Quote renewal and new business needing management referral in a time frame that allows for non-renewal or declination
- Maintain familiarity and compliance with state insurance regulations and ISO rules for all states within the underwriting territory
- Maintain open communications and build relationships with brokers, marketing managers, and management regarding all underwriting functions
- Analyze and approve requested policy changes as appropriate
- Prepare policies for issuance
- Work closely with Risk Management to assist insureds in improving operations
- Monitor specified accounts for possible nonrenewal or other underwriting considerations
- Provide timely, professional, polite, and friendly customer service through email and phone
- Coordinate consumer requests, such as: insurance proposals, policy copies, proof of insurance, optional quotes, certificates, etc.
- Assist and educate agents/brokers on program specific product and policy coverages
- Solicit new business submissions
- Provide backup support for other associates when necessary
- Prepare risk overview documents and schedule meetings with appropriate personnel when applicable
- Maintain familiarity with market conditions and competitor intelligence
- Monitor internal reports such as loss triangles, loss ratios, hit ratios, retention, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- Complete special projects as assigned
- Present a professional appearance and positive attitude at all times
- Some travel as deemed necessary
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
- Solid time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and prioritize, maintaining required production levels
- Meet expectations for attendance and punctuality
- Strong understanding of commercial lines rating and underwriting practices and concepts
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education/experience preferred
- AINS or CISR designation or equivalent preferred
- One to three years of insurance experience preferred
- Proficient knowledge of computers in a windows-based environment required