Adams County Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Parks Worker II - Grounds (Temporary, Full-time)
at Adams County Government
Pay: $12.72 to $17.81/hour
$12.72 - $17.81
Job Status: Full Time,Part Time,Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 2554667
Overall Job Objective
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
To perform a variety of duties involved in the maintenance of parks, trails, and related facilities.
Note: This is a temporary, seasonal position.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Perform a full range of turf maintenance duties, including but not limited to: watering, mowing, weeding, trimming, aerating, renovating, and fertilizing turf.
- Perform a full range of shrub and flower bed maintenance; plant, water, fertilize, and maintain landscaped areas including bushes, trees, flowers, and shrubs; control weeds.
- Trim and prune bushes, trees, and shrubs to provide clearance of sidewalks, signs and lights, as well as to ensure the continued health of the bush, tree, or shrub.
- Perform a variety of duties in the maintenance and repair of the irrigation system; change and adjust heads; maintain controllers; assist in irrigation system installation and maintenance projects.
- Operate A full range of grounds maintenance vehicles and equipment including dump trucks, mowers, edges, blowers, forklift, tractors, loaders, and hand and power tools; maintain tools and equipment and perform preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Inspect and maintain play equipment, picnic tables, and other related parks equipment and facilities; install and repair playground equipment, fences, and other related parks equipment and facilities; sand and paint trash receptacles, picnic tables and related items.
- Identify plant and animal pests to be controlled; measure, mix, and apply chemicals to trees, shrubs, grass, and flowers to control weeds, insects, and plant diseases; set and monitor rodent traps.
- Remove fallen trees, stumps, fallen limbs, and related debris resulting from storm damage and general conditions.
- Patrol parks and trails; identify maintenance needs and safety hazards; report needs to appropriate staff.
- Remove graffiti along trails, in parks, and in other areas.
- Rake leaves and clear debris from walks, trails, fields, and other facilities; sweep trail roads and parking lots; pick up trash.
- Clean and maintain restrooms; stock restrooms with necessary supplies; repair toilets, urinals, and faucets.
- Identify equipment needs for each assigned project.
- Perform winterizing maintenance in parks, gardens, and County owned facilities; remove snow.
- Inspect and maintain play equipment, picnic tables, and other related parks equipment and facilities; install and repair playground equipment, fences, and other related parks equipment and facilities; sand and paint trash receptacles, picnic tables, and related items.
- Determine appropriate methods, sequences, and layout of work detail.
- Assist in the construction of various projects; assist in the maintenance of roads and parking lots.
- Assist in the set-up and removal of equipment needed for special events.
- Deal courteously and tactfully with the public in response to inquiries and complaints; provide information regarding rules and regulations of the parks, trails, and other facilities.
- Supervise seasonal and volunteer staff.
- Assist in the setup and operations of the Adams County Fair; prepare signs.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Qualifications for Success
- Basic methods, techniques, and tools used in the construction and maintenance of trails, parks, landscaped areas, and related facilities.
- Uses, purposes, and operating characteristics of basic parks maintenance tools and equipment.
- Occupational hazards and necessary precautions applicable to assigned work.
- Preventive maintenance requirements.
- Safe work practices.
- Learn to use, operate, and maintain chemical spraying equipment in performance of chemical spraying duties.
- Learn to operate a variety of mechanical equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Learn to use and operate hand tools, mechanical equipment, and power tools and equipment.
- Learn County policies, procedures, and codes related to grounds maintenance.
- Learn pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Identify plant and animal pests that are harmful to plants.
- Learn chemical pesticides and herbicides and their use.
- Learn the operating characteristics of and repair principles used on irrigation systems.
- Learn the watering requirements for lawns, trees and plants, and various types of soil.
- Perform park maintenance, landscaping, reconstruction, and repair work.
- Perform minor or routine maintenance and repair of recreation equipment, picnic tables, and pavilions.
- Deal tactfully with the public.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- More Qualifications for Success
- Experience: One (1) to (2) years experience in grounds maintenance or related field.
- Education and Training: Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
- License or Certificate: Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver's license.
- Background Check: Must pass a criminal background check.
- Ability to sit, stand, kneel, crouch, squat, stoop, reach, crawl, twist, climb, and lift 50 pounds.
- Exposure to noise, outdoors, confining work space, electrical hazards, chemicals, dust, and mechanical hazards.
- Availability for on-call and stand-by call.
Please apply for this position by following the link provided below. A new window will open on your screen and you will be directed to the Adams County Government employment website. From there, please follow the application directions provided. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO SAY YOU SAW THE AD ON JOBING.COM!